DEFCON 2010 Badge : The Missing Man Page
- DEFCON Badger Python script -- Now uploads an image file or fills the screen. Provides a class to interact with badge. (You'll need 'pyserial' and PIL installed.)
Where's the information?
See: http://www.grandideastudio.com/portfolio/defcon-18-badge/ (
But it seems to refer to the 2009 badge currently Now updated.)
Where's some photos of the different variations?
What's with the "Ninja Party" mode?
How do I make a serial connection?
The board has a FTDI USB to serial chip on it. Recent Linux OS should support it automatically. It will appear as something like /dev/ttyUSB0 on your machine.
To connect use this (then use Ctrl-A then \ to exit):
screen /dev/ttyUSB0 9600
Somehow I got a "Starting user application..." message but I'm not sure how.
( 29 July 2010 )
- 4:36pm -- Got a "custom graphic" displayed via serial. The key piece of information is to know that the "L" command accepts bytes, not ASCII characters.
- 6:24pm -- Got a Python script to fill the screen:
- 6:35pm -- I suggest removing the battery then running the script, otherwise the micro seems to reset the display eventually.
- 9:10pm -- I managed to enhance the script so it can take a graphic image and upload it to the display (over serial).
- 9:40pm Uploaded new version of the script which does image upload. e.g.
- Plus a couple more example images (it "auto-converts" to 1 bit colour via PIL):