Learning About FPGA
: Description : Notes on my investigation into use of FPGA from my perspective as a software developer.
: Status : Initial research
At this stage I plan to focus on Verilog due to its "C-like style" and the fact I was introduced to it before VHDL.
- Verilog vs VHDL -- in a nutshell
- The Verilog simulator is apparently an interpreter—if speed is an issue the GPL Verilator tool might be another option for (significantly) faster simulation.
- To view a list of signals in GtkWave you need to select them from the "Search" menu. See Learning About GtkWave for more details.
- Digilent C-Mod -- Seems like a possible low-cost way into CPLD.
Icarus Verilog links
- "Hardware Design for Software Developers" slide show -- The presentation that started it all for me.
- GPL Cver -- "Verilog HDL simulator"
- "Build A CPLD Dev Board" -- Altera based
- "Getting started with programmable logic" -- Xilinx based
Tutorial, Example and Design Links
- The Designer’s Guide to Verilog -- Includes useful tutorial
- Welcome To Verilog Page -- Includes multiple Verilog Examples and extremely comprehensive Verilog Tutorial featuring Verilog In One Day section. Also: Verilog Quick Reference
- MyHDL -- "Open source Python package that lets you go from Python to silicon."