Learning About Google App Engine
- Uploading and Downloading Data (for data backup)
( 24 September 2009 )
- . Google App Engine and Django 1.0 installation .
- Following README and Using the Google App Engine Helper for Django (slightly outdated as the SDK now contains Django 1.0 or later).
- Using with Django, install locally:
svn export http://google-app-engine-django.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ appengine_helper_for_django cp -R appengine_helper_for_django <app_name>
- Edit app.yaml to use the correct app name.
- Create a new application:
python manage.py startapp <app_name>
- Test application:
python manage.py runserver # Then visit location listed in output.
- If you use the GoogleAppEngineLauncher then at this stage you should be able to add the new project/application to it. Then you should be able to deploy it successfully and get the default "Congratulations on your first Django-powered page" page.
- TODO: Also consider app-engine-patch
- Changes required to go from Django app to GAE-Django app: 1) Use 'BaseModel'; 2) Use 'Property' rather than 'Field'; '3) Add 'validator' rather than 'max_length' etc. (Not sure about 'unique'.)